I came across a piece of furniture at a garage sale a few weeks back. While I didn't have a need for it, I really wanted to get it. So, there I stood, staring at it - trying to think of a place in my house where I could put it. I left, went home, looked in my house, and went back to buy it. If anything, I wanted to try to redo it, like this beautiful dining room hutch makeover. This is what I bought for $20:
Other than being a little dirty and missing a knob, it was in very good condition. By using the "beautiful dining room hutch makeover" post above as a tutorial, I got to work. I took off the hardware and doors, lightly sanded it, and then primed it with Krylon Primer in Ruddy Brown.
Next up, spray painting on the final color! I choose Krylon Cherry Red. {Red is my favorite color and I have a frame in Cherry Red, as well as, other pops of red that would tie everything in.} Using 4 cans of Cherry Red, I spray painted everything on the hutch, except the hardware. {I did approximately 3 coats, letting dry in between.} For the hardware, I used Rust-Oleum Hammered spray paint in a black finish. This is really cool stuff! I replaced the knobs with cute ones I found 50% at Hobby Lobby.
Here is the final result:
As you can see, I had no trouble finding a place for it! :-) I really love it. It makes me happy when I walk in the door.
You can see how I made the mini fabric flag pennant behind the globes on THIS post.
The "beautiful dining room hutch makeover" post from The Crafting Chicks was very, very helpful in completing this project.
Linking up here:



12 comments:
Girl...
You did an amazing job! I have one word for you: STICKER!
From ordinary... to EXTRAORDINARY!
WOW!
I love it, and the color is perfect!
We have an old dry sink here that I am dying to refinish.. just so nervous about it! ..I am going to have to just do it!! :)
Gretchen - You are amazing! I cannot believe what a find you got for only $20! It looks GORGEOUS!!! It's larger than I thought and absolutely perfect in your kitchen! Wooohooooo!
Love, Mom
Wow!!! From 20 bucks to 200!! It looks fantastic gretch! I'm VERY impressed. :))))
Love YOUUUU,
lis
pLOVE how this turned out!! Saw it on TT&J's Weekend Wrap-Up : )
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com
Hi! Stopping over from TT&J linky party. LOVE your hutch! My favorite color is red too so this caught my eye! Great job!
Love your "new" hutch. The red color is perfect. I have a hutch almost like that I am thinking of redoing thanks for the inspiration.
Great job, Gret! It looks absolutely lovely. Joel must be so proud. What a thrifty and creative wife you are! The house looks amazing. Love you!
I'll be featuring your amazing project tomorrow... Come visit and feel free to button-up!
That turned out perfect... and you got it for twenty bucks?! WOW. Love the globes too!
This is soooo beautiful! I wish it was in my house. You did a great job!
I love this. I can't believe you got it for only $20. I'm never that lucky at yard sales. And you did such a great job styling it, with those amazing globes, bunting and that wire basket. Love, love, love.
Post a Comment